Confidence overcomes Fear.
Lack of confidence can lead to paralysis from fear…
fear of failure, fear of what other people think, fear of the unknown. To be successful, we need the confidence to face and overcome our fears.
Here are 5 powerful ways to build confidence daily:
1. Recite Positive Affirmations
Reciting daily positive affirmations can be a powerful way to create confidence, even if you don’t believe the words you’re saying (yet).
"Whatever the mind can conceive and believe, it can achieve." - Napoleon Hill
I have an alarm set on my iPhone twice a day with affirmations that support WHO I want to be and what I want to accomplish. When it goes off, I read my affirmations out loud genuinely & enthusiastically and FEEL the emotions associated with them.
Need some inspiration for powerful affirmations for confidence, love, joy, health, wealth and abundance? Here's a cheat sheet. You're welcome. ;)
2. Create a Foundation of Faith
For with God, nothing is impossible. - Luke 1:37
Sometimes we treat prayer like a last resort... we get to a point where we feel we can no longer control the outcome of a situation, and we finally turn to God.
We think “When all else fails, pray about it.” Your faith isn’t something to fall back on when all else fails - it’s something to keep you strong, connected and confident - regardless of if you’re thriving, or just barely surviving. Remember to keep your faith as your foundation - not as your last resort.
3. Be Prepared
We can avoid anxiety, self-doubt, and self-consciousness often just by preparing ourselves for specific situations. For example, we can control what we choose to say, what we choose to wear, our thoughts, and our emotional state going into the situation.
Keep your focus on the things you can control ,
not the things that are out of your control.
Some examples of situations we can prepare for:
- Important meeting/presentation at work:
- Choose your outfit the day before, be ready with your conversation points, arrive 15-30 minutes early, do your homework & know the answers to potential questions
- Touchy conversation with your spouse/significant other:
- Set a time in advance, journal all your thoughts the day (or hour) before your convo, be prepared with conversation points, be mentally and emotionally prepared to listen & respond compassionately and respectfully, pray for an open heart and mind for yourself and your spouse
- Photo shoot for your new online biz:
- Choose your outfits at least one week in advance and try them out at least once to be sure you like the look/feel, decide on the colors and style that match your brand, create a list for your photographer of all your "must-have" shots, go over the goals/intentions of the shoot with your photographer in advance so they know your expectations
- Skype session with your new client:
- Do a test run with your biz bestie or BFF at the same time of day (check for good lighting), be ready with your hair/makeup/outfit done at least 30 minutes before the call, check your wifi connection & be sure the video call software you are using is already installed and updated
4. Don’t Accept Failure or Negative Influences
Surround yourself with people who love and support you unconditionally, and do everything you can to stay away from people who are constantly negative or who don’t encourage you.
Stop focusing on problems and start directing all your energy towards finding solutions to the things you are able to change in your life.
If you can’t escape your Debbie-downer friends or the mean-girl voices in your head, make a list of all of your accomplishments that you’re proud of, all the challenges you’ve overcome in your life so far, and all the things you’re grateful for. This will give you some perspective and help you realize that you really are an AMAZING UNICORN. 🦄✨
5. Build up the courage to Own Your Story
"Owning our story can be hard but not nearly as difficult as spending our lives running from it. Embracing our vulnerabilities is risky but not nearly as dangerous as giving up on love and belonging and joy – the experiences that make us the most vulnerable.
Only when we are brave enough to explore the darkness will we discover the infinite power of our light.
The willingness to tell our stories, feel the pain of others, and stay genuinely connected in this disconnected world is not something we can do halfheartedly. To practice courage, compassion, and connection is to look at life and the people around us, and say, ‘I’m all in.'” -Brene Brown
Once you’ve accepted your story, take responsibility for your future.
There are many things you can control in your everyday life that will help you build confidence and create happiness and success, like…
- Your body language - good posture, smiling, eye contact
- Your image and style
- Your nutrition and exercise
- Your attitude
- Your thoughts
To recap, here are 5 ways you can boost your confidence and go from fear to success in any area of your life.
- Say POSITIVE AFFIRMATIONS daily [even if you don't believe them...yet]
- Practice FAITH and prayer every day [not just as a last resort]
- Be PREPARED when you go into a conversation, meeting or event
- Surround yourself with POSITIVE people & NEVER GIVE UP
- OWN your story & ACCEPT responsibility for your future